Professor Honors and Awards
Park's team made the cover page
Volume 25, Number 32, August 27, 2013, Advanced Materials
Poulikakos' team made the cover page
Volume 13, Number 8, August 2013, Macromolecular Bioscience
Koumoutsakos' team made the cover page
Volume 722, May 2013, Journal of Fluid Mechanics
The following professors and/or institutes have received honors or awards from the ETH or other recognized scientific organizations.
Honors and Awards 2013
Abharis Laboratory for Energy Conversion:
- Prof. Reza S. Abhari has been
selected to receive the "2014
R. Tom Sawyer Award" for significant contributions to the gas turbine
industry in both the U.S. and Europe, and for exemplary service to the IGTI
(Internationl Gas Turbine Institute).
D'Andreas Institute for Dynamic Systems and Control:
- Dr. Angela Schöllig received the ETH medal.
Duals Institute of Mechanical Systems:
- Dr. Stephan Kaufmann, senior scientist with Prof. Dual, wins the
"Goldene Eule 2013", an award from ETH students, for his excellent
teaching in Mechanical Systems.
- Ivo Leibacher and Andreas Lamprecht, Doctoral candidates with Prof. Jürg Dual, received an
Honorable Mention for the
R. W. B. Stephens Prize at the International Congress on Ultrasonics
Glockers Institute for Mechanical Systems:
- Gabriel Nützi, Doctoral candidate with Prof. Christoph Glocker, has been awarded the "Ernst-Blickle-Studienpreis 2012".
Guzzellas Institute for Dynamic Systems and Control:
- The Swiss Federal Council has appointed Lino Guzzella, ETH Rector and
Professor of Thermotronics, as the future ETH President. He will be
taking over from Ralph Eichler who is retiring at the end of 2014. By
taking this decision, the Swiss Government has endorsed the unanimous
proposal made by the ETH Board.
- Prof. Lino Guzzella
has been invited to visit the University of California at Berkeley as the Russell
Severance Springer Professor.
- Norbert Zsiga, Doctoral candidate with Prof. Lino Guzzella
at IDSC, has been awarded the SGA Förderpreis 2013 for his excellent
Master Thesis "Indirect Boosting of Turbocharged SI Engines".
Hierolds Chair of Micro and Nanosystems:
Dr. Clémentine Marie Françoise Boutry received the ETH medal.
Koumoutsakos' Computational Science and Engineering Laboratory:
Koumoutsakos has been awarded a prestigious Advanced Grant from the
European Research Council (ERC). The grant will provide a total of 2,5
million Euros over five years to study the Fluid Mechanics of Collective
- Dr. Mattia Gazzola received the ETH medal.
- For its simulations of imploding cloud cavitation bubbles, the team
around Prof. Koumoutsakos was awarded the prestigious Gordon Bell Prize
for high-performance computing.
Mazzas Institute of Mechanical Systems:
- Dr. Minh Son Pham received the ETH medal.
Mazzottis Separation Processes Laboratory:
- Jan Winkler,
Pascal Oehler, Bilal Özkan Lafci, Andreas Krättli und Robin Mutschler, Bachelor
students with Prof. Mazzotti, have been awarded the “DVGW Studienpreis Gas
2013” for their focus project „Carbon Storage Showcase“.
Nelsons Multi-Scale and Robotics Laboratory:
- Kahtrin Peyer, Doctoral candidate with Prof. Bradley Nelson, received the 'Best Paper Award' for
her paper 'Bacteria-inspired
magnetic polymer composite microrobots' at the Living Machines 2013
Salvador Pané Vidal, senior researcher at Prof. Nelson's Multi-Scale
Robotics Lab, has been awarded the highly competitive Starting Grant
from the European Research Council (ERC). The grant will provide 1.5
million euros over five years to investigate composite nanomaterials
with magnetoelectric properties for chemical and biomedical
Norris' Optical Materials Engineering Laboratory:
Norris has been awarded a prestigious Advanced Grant from the European
Research Council (ERC). The grant will provide a total of 2,5 million
Euros over five years to study novel nanoscale light sources known as
Poulikakos Laboratory of Thermodynamics in Emerging Technologies:
- Dr. Daniele Foresti received the ETH medal.
Pratsinis' Particle Technology Laboratory:
- Rena Goudeli, Doctoral candidate with Prof. Sotiris Pratsinis, has been awarded the EAC Best Poster Award 2013.
- Georgios Sotiriou, former Doctoral candidate with Prof. Sotiris Pratsinis, has been awarded the HILTI-Prize for innovative research 2013.
- Prof. Yannis Deligianiakis and Dr. Georgios
Sotiriou from Prof. Pratsinis’ team won a "TechConnect2013 Innovation Award" at the "Nanotech2013" in Washington DC, USA.
- Dr. Maximilian Ludwig Eggersdorfer received the ETH medal.
Sheas Engineering Design and Computing Laboratory:
- Prof. Kristina Shea has been elected Fellow of the ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers).
Fellow Grade is the highest elected grade of membership within ASME,
the attainment of which recognizes exceptional engineering achievements
and contributions to the engineering profession.
Siegwarts Autonomous Systems Laboratory:
- Michael Neunert, former Master student with Prof. Siegwart, received the Johann Puch
Innovation Award 2012 for his Master Thesis at the Autonomous Systems Lab.
- Dr. Marco Hutter received the ETH medal.
Steinfelds Chair in Renewable Energy Carriers:
- Prof. Steinfeld received the Heat Transfer Memorial Award 2013 by the ASME - American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Prof. Steinfeld received the Farrington Daniels Award 2013 by the ISES - International Solar Energy Society. This is the premier world award given for outstanding intellectual leadership in the field of solar energy.
- Best Paper Award 2013
by the Journal of Solar Energy to T. Cooper, F. Dähler, G. Ambrosetti, A.
Pedretti, and A. Steinfeld. “Performance of compound parabolic concentrators
with polygonal apertures”, Solar Energy, Vol. 95, pp. 308–318, 2013.
- Prof. Aldo Steinfeld received a 2,5 Million Euro from the European
Research Council for his ERC research project to produce clean fuels
from water (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2) and solar energy efficiently.