Professor Honors and Awards
Park's team made the cover page
Volume 1, Number 7, October 2014, Advanced Materials Interfaces
Ermanni's team made the cover page
Volume 26, Number 9 , March 5, 2014, Advanced Materials
Nelson's team made the cover page
Volume 26, Issue 6, February 8, 2014, Advanced Materials
Dual's team made the cover page
Volume 14, Number 3, February 7, 2014, Lab on a Chip
Nelson's team made the cover page
Volume 2, Number 4, January 28, 2014, Journal of Materials Chemistry B
The following professors and/or institutes have received honors or awards from the ETH or other recognized scientific organizations.
Honors and Awards 2014
- Zaira Künsch, former Master-Student of Prof. Konstantinos Boulouchos has
received the Int. Flame Research Foundation, Finnish National Committee
“Best Master Thesis”- Award in Combustion Science for 2013 (research in
collaboration with Aalto University, Finland).
- Flavio Fontana, former Master candidate with Prof. Raffaello D'Andrea, has been awarded the "Ernst-Blickle-Studienpreis 2013".
- Ivo Leibacher and Peter Reichert, Doctoral Students in
Prof. Dual’s group, won the “2014 ASME Swiss
Section Young Engineer Award " and the „Best Poster Award" at
the MFHS 2014.
- Izabela Kuder, Doctoral student in Prof. Paolo Ermannis group, was awarded with the prize for the Best
Student Paper Competition at the ASME Conference 2014 for her contribution entitled “Static Design
of a Selective Compliance Morphing Wing Profile Based on Integrated
Variable Stiffness Bi-Stable Components”.
- Lino Guzzella’s research group has won the Watt d’Or 2014 energy prize
for development of a natural gas-diesel hybrid engine. The innovative
combustion engine system emits up to half as much CO2 as conventional engines and with the same performance.
- Michael Gloor, doctoral student in the group of
Prof. L. Kleiser, received the Best Student Technical Paper award for his paper
on the aeroacoustics of heated coaxial jets that he presented at the 20th AIAA
Aeroacoustics Conference (Atlanta, USA, June 2014).
- Dr. Babak Hejazialhosseini, Postdoc in Prof. Koumoutsakos group, was a finalist and Switzerland's candidate at the ECCOMAS PhD Award 2013.
Marco Mazzotti was awarded with the title of Doctor honories causa from the
Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg (Germany). He is being recognized for
his efforts in process engineering, in particular for developing the
scientific bases to study various separation processes.
Rudolf von Rohr:
- Marco Altheimer, doctoral student in Prof. Rudolf von Rohr's team,
received the Best Speaker Award for his oral presentation about the
paper "Optical investigation of bubbly flows in highly porous
structures" at the iCAIM - International Conference on Applications for
Image Based Measurements 2014 in Leipzig, Germany, June 24-25, 2014.
- Agnieszka Ladosz, Doctoral student with Prof. Philipp Rudolf von Rohr, won a Poster Award at the Flow 14 Conferenze on May 18-21, 2014 in Enschede,
Giovanni Sansavini was presented with the Assistant Professor Energy Grants by
the Swiss National Science Foundation. He received CHF 660’000 to conduct a
4-year project on his research proposal “The Vulnerabilities of Future
Interdependent Energy Networks”.
Hutter, Senior Researcher at the Autonomous Systems Lab, was awarded the Best
Robot Video Award at the AAAI Video Competition 2014, July 27-31, 2014 in
Québec City, Canada, for his video “How to engineer a dog”.
- Tom Cooper, former doctoral student and
presently postdoc in the group of Prof. Steinfeld, received the ASME Solar
Energy Graduate Student Award, which recognizes an
outstanding PhD thesis in the area of solar
energy. The Award was presented at the
ASME 8th Int. Conf. on Energy Sustainability, Boston, USA,
June 30 - July 2, 2014.