External thesis projects
An external thesis at ETH Zurich will only be allowed under certain conditions.
D-MAVT has defined the following procedure and documents for decisions in the Department Conference about an external thesis:
- Confirmation that the external institution agrees to be bound by the provisions of ETH Zurich rules. (Thesis project outside the ETH Domain form)
- Outline of proposed thesis
The supervisor must provide written information on:
- The reasons why the doctoral thesis should be pursued outside ETH and in the company.
- The title of the doctoral thesis.
- The name and function of an experienced and qualified person at the external institution who supervises the student at the external institution.
The doctoral committee checks the documents and make a suggestion for the Department Conference. If possible, the supervisor attends the Department Conference in order to answer potential questions. The Department Conference decides about approval, rejection or postponement of the request.